An asphalt driveway or surface is as prone to staining as any other surface. Despite being strong enough to withstand wear, traffic, and weight for years, asphalt pavements need to be saved from stains. Ironic, right?
Do you need asphalt maintenance services in Columbia, SC? Click here to get a free quote now from SMI Paving.
Two relatively common stains that asphalt surfaces display are of mulch and oil. People are often unaware of the correct way to remove these stains and take actions that do more harm than good. Want to carry out stain removal the right way? Here’s what you need to do to keep your asphalt surface looking new and free from stains.
Steps to remove mulch stains:
Mulch can bleed all over the asphalt, leaving behind an unseemly stain, so avoid applying mulch during monsoon. Although this stain will eventually wear off, there is a quicker way of dealing with it.
- Rinse your asphalt driveway with water.
- Apply a mild soap or vinegar on the stained areas and scrub in circular motions using a soft bristle brush.
- Do a low-pressure wash to rinse the soap away with water.
If the mulch stain is still present, then repeat the process or follow the steps below.
- Mix two gallons of warm water with two cups of bleach.
- Use a soft bristle brush to scrub the beach solution in circular motions.
- Leave the bleach on the stain for half an hour.
- Wash off the bleach solution with water on a low-pressure rinse.
Steps to remove oil:
Oil stains are caused by oil leaks in a vehicle’s fuel tank, engine oil leaks, and spills from tanker trucks. Not only does oil leave a stain on the asphalt driveway, but when it seeps into the surface, it dissolves the binder, causing chunks of aggregate to break loose. The result of this is cracks and depressions appearing on your driveway.
- Don’t directly try to wash the oil. Cover the area with kitty litter for a few hours to soak up any excess oil, then sweep the surface to remove the kitty litter.
- Create a paste by mixing Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) with water, or use commercial degreasers, and scrub it onto the stain with a brush. Leave the solution for half an hour before rinsing with water.
If you don’t want to risk damaging your asphalt driveway, then the best thing to do is call in professionals to undertake the task of stain removal from your surface. Get stain regular stain removal added to your asphalt maintenance regime, so your driveway is always in top-notch condition.
Are you looking for premium asphalt paving and maintenance services in Columbia, SC? Do you want to hire a team of paving for reasonable rates? Do you want your new surface to retain its functionality and appearance for a long time? Contact SMI Paving, or click here to get a free quote from them now.